Sunday, May 14, 2017

Flagellant #4

Another modified MM65 flagellant. As you can see, I've replaced the head, and borrowed the hammerhead to a Marauder giant slayer. I've also added some elements from the flagellant (book and skulls) and greatsword (pendant) plastic sprues.


As for painting, I've followed some advice and tried to change the elements drawn on the robe. The Mordheim rulebook is full of inspiring illustrations. Some examples below:


Sunday, May 7, 2017

Flagellant #3

A very limited conversion this time: club replaced by a cat o' nine tails and a twin-tailed comet icon added.


And the "whole" band:


Monday, May 1, 2017

Flagellant #2

Second fanatic of this new unit, I've made a few changes to the original model (MM65):
  • on top of the backpack, I've added a wooden panel maintained by chains (all bits from the flagellant plastic sprue). My initial intent was to transform this model into a standard bearer, but I've found a better idea (to see in a future post);
  • I've extended the weapon with the upper part of a club carried by a gnoblar;
  • and finally, I've glued a skull and a scroll below the pile of books in the back.
For the painting, nothing new compared to the previous model... except the hair and beard that were even worse to paint!


Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Testing new flagellants

Back to the flagellants. I'll try to convert the models to add some diversity with respect to the first unit. Here, I've used some elements of the flagellant plastic sprue (scroll, skull and bones), and I've changed the initial flail for a kind of morning star (not totally convinced it's an improvement though).

For the painting job, I'm also trying to take into account some comments received on the first lot (too clean, too uniform), by staining the robes and adding some inscriptions. It takes time, so tell me if it's worth the effort or not :p (and the hair is still a nightmare to paint!)



I forgot to mention that John Carpenter's movie In the Mouth of Madness was a source of inspiration for the decorated robe :)



Monday, April 3, 2017

Flagellants updated

I've already mentioned that I was not totally satisfied with my flagellants, the first unit I've painted for this army. A few weeks ago, I tried to correct a few things on them (hair, faces...) and removed the beggar and the warrior-priest to have an 8-man regiment, as indicated by the Warhammer Armies book.



I've also considered painting new details on them with reds, golds and violets to link them with the other units... but in the end, I gave up the idea: too much work! 

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Swordsman #9

Back to the MM60 range for this new swordsman. Again, a real pleasure to paint :)


And the family shot:


 

Friday, March 31, 2017

Swordsman #8

Another unreleased warrior from Marauder Miniatures. He looks like a gladiator or a pit fighter, not totally fitting in an imperial army, but acceptable in a unit of mercenaries.